Friday, August 14, 2009

Coming out...



...of his shell, that is.

Justin has never been anti-social exactly. It's just that entering into Justin's world has always been a bit like trying to get into Studio 54. Some people are allowed past the velvet ropes and embraced with enthusiasm and affection.

Yet others don't quite make the cut.

Like Steve Rubell working the door, he just decides that certain people lack the right vibe and they are summarily dismissed and quite actively ignored.

While Mike, Ryan and I have always been privy to the inner sanctum of Justin's private club, there are, sadly, few other members.

Until recently.

Lately a subtle shift has been taking place and Justin has been reaching out more and more.

There was the little girl he approached at the beach. He grabbed her hand and said "hi". Then the two of them played in the water for 20 minutes. That's right. They played. As in, "together". For 20 minutes!

Need I say more?

There's his recent desire to be outside with the "Neighborhood Gang" (aka...the 3 to 6 kids who perpetually populate our neighboring backyards). His awareness and persistence in trying to keep up with this rowdy bunch has been nothing short of wonderful.

There was the recent visit with my younger brother (20 years my junior). Watching Justin tenuously allow his young uncle into his space, stirred feelings of tenderness in me that I really don't have the words describe.

The point is, with each week that passes, Justin is growing and developing more and more. Before our very eyes, he is morphing from baby to little boy. You'd think that after all this time I'd finally be ready for this metamorphous.


And I am.

Kind of.

Because it is a little disconcerting. In so many ways he is still very “baby-like”. Then out of nowhere, he will do something so completely unexpected. So completely age appropriate. And I’m completely thrown off kilter. It’s just hard sometimes to know when to push and when to protect, or over-protect, as the case may be.

One of my favorite sayings is how, as parents, our job is to give our children “roots and wings”.

Just keep flying, my little bird, and I promise I’ll be here to catch you if you fall.

1 comment:

jess said...

roots and wings .. yes - my favorite too.

with a safety net, the sky is the limit.