Saturday, December 12, 2009

Even Mother Warriors Need A Vacation

After a self-imposed sabbatical I am back. I apologize for the absence but quite frankly I needed a break. Besides the fact that my new job renders me somewhat incoherent by day’s end, the truth is I’ve just been so sick of all things autism that I was longing for distraction.

For me, distraction came in the way of reconnecting with old friends (love Facebook!), going out to dinner with my husband (no kids allowed), and simply playing with and enjoying my kids for exactly who they are. No fretting about Ryan’s inability to sit still. No hand-wringing over Justin’s hoarding (which had disappeared but is now back with a vengeance).

It wasn’t easy, but it was definitely necessary.

Sometimes this journey feels like climbing a steep and icy slope. Then, just when you feel you have your footing, you feel yourself slip. If you’re lucky you catch yourself and recover. But sometimes you don’t. Sometimes you have to have the wherewithal to know when you’re tired and just be still.

But I’m back. I may not write as often because, honestly after working all day the last thing I want to do write. My original intent in writing was for having an outlet not an obligation.

Having said that, Christmas will be kicking into high gear soon and I’m sure I will have lots to write about. Until then, have a wonderful holiday and I’ll talk to you soon.

1 comment:

jess said...

rule #1 - repeat after me ..

i will never write because i feel like i have to

rule #2

i will never ever apologize for not writing because i was too busy living

xoxo