Friday, July 17, 2009

Maine Revisited



Tomorrow morning we begin our vacation to one of our favorite places, Ogunquit, Maine. Maine is a very special place to us. It was the first place Mike and vacationed as boyfriend/girlfriend; it's where we spent a fabulous honeymoon; it's where we went for our first anniversary; and it's the place where Ryan has developed an absolute love affair with lobster and chowda.


Yet, instead of excitedly packing for our weeklong excursion, I find myself a tad bit ambivalent. You see, although Mike and I went to Maine last year a deux, the kids have not been back since the time right after Justin's diagnosis.


I'm trying so hard not to get my hopes up that Justin will be excited to spend all his days on the beach by the ocean. I'm also trying equally hard not to pessimistically expect the worst, by taking him away from the security of his home and everyday routine.


It's not easy.


I've never been very good at the "wait and see" approach. I am much more the "what can I control" type.


However, as I sit here and type, its hard not acknowledge all the things that have occurred in the two years since our last family trip.


Two years ago...

Justin wasn't talking...at all.


Ryan wasn't reading.

Justin's eye contact was sketchy.


Ryan couldn't swim.

Justin preferred to be alone.


Ryan couldn't ride a bike.

Justin wasn't potty trained.

Ryan couldn't snap, whistle or blow a bubble.


Justin spent most of his days in a fog that was hard to penetrate.

Two years later...


Justin is able to say hundreds of words and can even manage some 3-4 word sentences from time to time.


Ryan can read (although he doesn't like to) and recently showed off his writing abilities by writing RUSH (my musician husband's favorite band) on the windowsill of my kitchen...AARGH!!!

Justin almost always acknowledges when his name is called and has recently ventured into the world of joint attention (i.e. pointing while saying, “Hey, look!”)

Ryan can swim like a fish and has even been diving.

Justin still likes his "alone time" (don't we all?), but is happiest when playing with his big brother.

Ryan, just this week has really mastered his two-wheeler. The look of joyful pride when he was able to "push off" by himself and stay up, is a picture that will be indelibly burned on my brain.

Justin is not only potty trained but also stays completely dry during the night. Can I get an Amen!

Ryan can indeed snap, whistle and blow bubbles, oftentimes to the extreme annoyance of his parents.

Justin's "foggy" days are rare. He actually spends a lot more energy trying to be the center of attention.

Yes, it's amazing the changes that can occur in a scant two years time. Therefore, I promise to remind myself of that if this vacation turns out to be less than stellar for Justin.


After all, just think where he'll be two years from now.

No comments: